Thursday, January 22, 2015

Butsudou 仏道 Kakejiku

This scroll is an order from a return customer. It says Butsudou in a semi-cursive style, and was written by Ryugyoku (Yoshimi Yamada Maples) I was speaking with Ken White, an adjunct professor of Asian History and Far East Religious studies at Utah Valley University and BYU about this phrase. He stated that this was a term that preceded the word 仏教 Bukkyou our Buddhism.

I wanted to do this scroll in a very simple yet elegant fashion. So I did this in the Fukuro Hyougu style. It has Red Suji of 1.5 bun surrounding the entire artwork. I used a Navy cloth and Navy Hanging string. It is completed with a plastic ivory jikusaki.

I think it turned out very simple, yet refined. Perhaps a reminder of the life of a Buddhist practitioner.

Scroll Dimensions as follows.

Name in Kanji Name in English Size in Bun Size in Inches
天 Ten 95 11.33
筋 Ue Ichimonji 1.5 0.18
紙本の幅さ Artwork Width 78 9.30
紙本の長さ Artwork Length 112 13.36
柱 Pillars 15 1.79
地 Chi 55 6.56
掛け軸の幅さ Scroll Width 111 13.24
掛け軸の長さ Scroll Length 265 31.61

No comments: