Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Sanso Collection - Fugai Ekun

I have been blessed to work on mounting several prints into scrolls for the Sanso Collection (山荘コレクション) owned by the late Peter Drucker. As I do not own any rights, I can not post the pictures themselves, but will share my own personal feelings as I get to work on framing these paintings and my connection to what these artists say to me. This is a painting by Fugai Ekun (1568-1654). Based on the link below, these are the characters 風外 I believe his last name translates to based upon the link below. http://zenpaintings.com/artist-fugai.htm This particular painting is titled Bodhidharma Crossing the Yangtze on a Reed. This is based on some of the traditional lore surrounding the figure Daruma, which you can read about here. http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/daruma.shtml This scroll was done in the Yamato Hyougu style. It may have been more suited in a Butsuhyougu style, but the owner was trying to emulate the original styling of the scroll. What I really like is the cloth selections for this scroll. Two dark cloths were used, and typically I like a light to dark, or dark to light combination. However, in this case the black contrasting with the dark brown seems to reinforce the image of the painting.

No comments: