Monday, September 9, 2019

Nick Rimando Wall of the Wasatch Sumie

I commissioned this painting as a fan of Nick Rimando, goalkeeper for the soccer team Real Salt Lake I am a big fan of RSL and try to watch every match. Nick Rimando has been such a solid player for so many years. I was sad to hear this would be his last year, so as soon as I heard this I commissioned two paintings from Polish artist Mariusz Szmerdt. I wanted to frame these together in a unique style.

I asked my supplier in Japan to specifically match the Claret, of the team colors. The blue (chuumawashi) cloth closest matched the cobalt. In the borders called Ichimonji, I used a mountain motif in order to express Rimando's moniker, "The Wall of the Wasatch".

The paintings are of his signature clap to the fans, and the other is of him holding the MLS Cup trophy, to celebrate the teams championship won in 2009. I have received such enjoyment from watching him play, and I hope this reminds people of these pleasurable moments.

No comments: