Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Black Dragon Sumie on Silk Mounted in Kakejiku

This is another dragon painting by an artist in Virginia. I think he does very good detailed work. The colors on this were so vivid. I had to spray an extra fixative, but there was still a small smudge of blue that occurred during the mounting, which makes me very upset. Otherwise this turned out really nice.

I had originally thought to use two separate cloth patterns. One would be a light green with a very small pattern and a green ten/chi. I thought this would go well with the leaves in the painting...but when I put the cloths up next to the painting, I decided it was too much of a good thing and the green would drown out the dragon. The other is what you see in the picture. It is a gray/silver cloth with a nami (wave) pattern. The Ten/Chi is a shike cloth, and it was done in the Yamato Hyougu format for the scroll. I completed it utilizing the Kodai Saniro hanging string, and used resin jikusaki, that mimics the color pattern of real ivory.

I think this scroll turned out nicely.
If you would like to have one of your works mounted, or have my wife do calligraphy for a scroll, please visit my website at www.customjapanesecalligraphy.com, email me at sales@customjapanesecalligraphy.com or call me at 801-214-4064.

No comments: