Monday, January 6, 2020

Sanso #100 by Rosetsu

These next posts will be the last of the scrolls done for the Sanso art collection. This is number 100 in the collection by Japanese artist Rosetsu. Click on the description below to read more about this artist on Wikipedia.

Nagasawa Rosetsu (長沢芦雪, 1754–1799) was an 18th-century (Edo period) Japanese painter of the Maruyama School, known for his versatile style. He was born to the family of a low-ranking samurai. He studied with Maruyama Ōkyo in Kyoto.[2][3]

This particular scroll was made in the Yamato Hyougu style. Even though the Hashira are very thin, I do not consider this the Rinpou Hyougu style. It is completed with a gold kinran with accompanying fuutai, a blue ivy arabesque Chuumawashi, and a gold arabesque Ten/Chi. I had purchased over 10 years ago some wooden jikusaki that had a black and gold pattern attached on paper. I had never felt this fit for any of my scrolls, but when I saw this painting, I just knew the black and gold reminded me of the Otera in which this bell would reside.

If you have a painting that you would like mounted into a scroll, or would like us to do a calligraphy piece for you, please contact to sales@customjapanesecalligraphy.com

No comments: