Thursday, September 30, 2010

幽蘭一国香 Yuuran Ikkoku no Kou


If you would like to order a custom scroll there are three ways to get started: 1. Go to my shopping site at www.shop.customjapanesecalligraphy.com 2. Download my scroll design workbook from my website at www.customjapanesecalligraphy.com to read about the concepts behind kakejiku or wallscroll design. 3. E-mail to me directly at sales@customjapanesecalligraphy.com

























幽蘭一国香 (ゆうらん いっこくのこう)


Yuuran Ikkoku no Kou

The meaning of this phrase is the scent of the pollen that emanates from the famed orchid is known throughout the country. (I am still trying to locate the name of this orchid in English...)

I looked everywhere for an orchid cloth. I did have have one, but knew that the urauchi step would not work due to this cloth being a synthetic. So I turned to my reliable rose. This is actually a leftover piece from a previous scroll done for a dojo up in Washington. And although the pattern on the kireji is not an orchid, this cloth still evokes the same visual and olfactory stimulation from the meaning of the poem. This was a writing done by Yoshimi a couple of years ago. She was advanced in rank due to this submitted writing. It is done in the sousho style.


Name in Kanji Name in English Size in Bun Size in Centimeters (Estimate) Size in Inches (Estimate)
天 Ten 91 275.73 10.86
上一文字 Ue Ichimonji 19 57.57 2.27
紙本の幅さ Artwork Width 79 239.37 9.42
紙本の長さ Artwork Length 107 324.21 12.76
柱 Pillars 17 51.51 2.03
下一文字 Shita Ichimonji 9 27.27 1.07
地 Chi 62 187.86 7.40
掛け軸の幅さ Scroll Width 113 342.39 13.48
掛け軸の長さ Scroll Length 288 872.64 34.36



This display could be used for a springtime or early summer themed display when the orchids are in bloom. The shoku for the tree is too small, but it is the only one that I own. Also, the bonsai is not real. I have a black thumb and kill every living bonsai…so I just have to go with what works for me.

No comments: