Saturday, November 6, 2010

意気衝天 Ikishouten (High Spirits)



This scroll is for sale. Although there were quite a few problems, and still some slight "Uki" in the scroll, it turned out all right. It was written by my wife, Ryugyoku, and the inkan or chop will be applied soon.

If you would like to order a custom scroll there are three ways to get started: 1. Go to my shopping site at www.shop.customjapanesecalligraphy.com 2. Download my scroll design workbook from my website at www.customjapanesecalligraphy.com to read about the concepts behind kakejiku or wallscroll design. 3. E-mail to me directly at sales@customjapanesecalligraphy.com


The meaning of the phrase ikishouten is listed in one online dictionary as High Spirits. I think it is better to look at it as having such conviction that it feels like being lifted into Heaven.
The first thing to be aware, is this is not a true Fukuro Hyougu style scroll. A true Fukuro Hyougu scroll does not have an Ichimoji section on the scroll. I wanted to do something a little different. I think the black suji provides a subtle transition between the cloths. I hope you feel the same.










Here are the Dimensions leading with the traditional 分 Bun measurement. 筋 suji were all done in 1 bun measurements.


Ten 天           149 (98&51)
Ue Ichimonji      上一文字         8
Artwork Width     紙本の幅さ        77
Artwork Length     紙本の長さ       106
Hashira        柱            23
Shita Ichimonji     下一文字         4
Chi          地            80 (25&55)
Total Scroll Length   掛け軸長さ        347
Total Scroll Width    掛け軸幅さ        123 

No comments: