Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tenbatsu-Divine Punishment Scroll

This scroll was ordered directly from my online shop at http://www.shop.customjapanesecalligraphy.com/ It is headed somewhere in the deep Southeast of the US.

If you would like to order a custom scroll there are three ways to get started: 1. Go to my shopping site at www.shop.customjapanesecalligraphy.com 2. Download my scroll design workbook from my website at www.customjapanesecalligraphy.com to read about the concepts behind kakejiku or wallscroll design. 3. E-mail to me directly at sales@customjapanesecalligraphy.com

The most interesting fact on this scroll is that my wife sure saved me a lot of headache. When the customer asked for Divine Punishment, I had no idea that there was a Japanese phrase for this. I did nail the second character batsu, but if it had been left to me to do the translation it would have been Shinbatsu...Like God, or the same character of Kami in Kamikaze...

Fortunately, I have a wonderful wife to help me get the Japanese correct. This scroll is written in the Kaisho, block print style. It is a beautifully written work and I am proud at how this scroll turned out. The darker antique cloth is complemented with a large gold on white ichimonji. The customer chose the black hanging string which is quite beautiful as well.

Scroll dimension given in the bun measurement.
Ten = 82
Ueichimonji = 13
Shihon no Habasa = 76
Shihon no Nagasa = 105
Hashira = 23
Shitaichimonji = 9
Chi = 58
Total Scroll Width = 122 (14.55 Inches)
Total Scroll Length = 267 (31.85 Inches)

No comments: