Thursday, September 29, 2011

Silk Sumie Remount Scroll

This has been one of the worst weeks I have had working on Kakejiku. Fortunately, the best came at the end of the week. I had a customer send me this scroll to be remounted. There was Yogore, staining on the Ten of the cloth and the Jikubou, was almost completely ripped from the Jikubukuro.

We consulted and he asked me what cloth I would select to put into the scroll. I selected the cloud motif because there were no clouds in the painting that would be redundant, and the slate/grey color helped to bring out the skillfully drawn dark and light contrasts in the picture. I also retained the basic Fukuro Hyougu styling. Also, the most interesting thing about this scroll was the Jikusaki, which seemed to have a purple lacquer which I have never seen before.

I retained and used the original Hassou and Jikubou, so I had to be very careful to maintain consistent measurements. I took extra time in working on the mimiori of this scroll. I hope you enjoy seeing this scroll, because it is going back to the customer's house.









Dimensions Below:
 Name in Kanji Name in English Size in Bun Size in Millimeters Size in Inches


天 Ten 117 354.51 13.96

絹本の幅さ Artwork Width 88 266.64 10.50
絹本の長さ Artwork Length 247 748.41 29.46

柱 Pillars 18 54.54 2.15

地 Chi 77 233.31 9.19

掛け軸の幅さ Scroll Width 124 375.72 14.79

掛け軸の長さ Scroll Length 441 1336.23 52.61

No comments: