Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Flying Horse Sumie

This painting was drawn by Dee Teller. You can see her body of work at http://deeteller.com/ When she proposed this work to be put into a scroll, I spent all day trying to think of some ideas of what would complement the title of the work "Flying Horse". This is part of a series of 13 paintings that are being prepared for an exhibition.

In my mind I wanted to put two symbols into the kakejiku. The first was sky and the other was water. The cloth for the sky was easy to select, but I took time to find the right water themed patterns in the Ichimonji and the the Chuumawashi. (Gold and Grey cloths respectively) It is finished with a Wajiku Jikusaki. It is very sad, but I was informed by my supplier that this company went out of business, and this was the last Jikusaki of this kind that they had in stock. It is very beautiful, and I am sad that I can no longer have the option to use these when designing a scroll. I also selected the grey (nezumi iro) colored hanging string for this scroll.
Dimensions of the scroll as follows:

Name in Kanji Name in English Size in Bun Size in Inches
Ten 110 13.12
上中廻し Ue Chuumawashi 40 4.77
上一文字 Ue Ichimonji 11 1.31
紙本の幅さ Artwork Width 205 24.45
紙本の長さ Artwork Length 104 12.41
Pillars 16 1.91
下一文字 Shita Ichimonji 7 0.84
下中廻し Shita Chuumawashi 26 3.10
Chi 70 8.35
掛け軸の幅さ Scroll Width 237 28.27
掛け軸の長さ Scroll Length 357 42.59

No comments: