Saturday, October 3, 2015

Dojo Wallscroll

This was a scroll for a martial arts dojo on the East Coast. It had some difficulties in that the black cloth that was used, did not turn out alright. So I redid it with a different black cloth and the same result occurred. I was so frustrated that I ended up doing it on a gray cloth that I know would work.

The scroll reads Musha Shugyou Satori (Enlightenment through Martial Arts Training)

It is written in Sousho, semi cursive style by Yoshimi Ryugyoku Yamada. It has a Gold on Red karakusa Ichimonji, Kon (navy) Hanging string, and Shitan (rosewood) Jikusaki.

Dimensions of the scroll as follows:
Name in Kanji Name in English Size in Bun Size in Inches
天 Ten 95 11.33
上一文字 Ue Ichimonji 11 1.31
紙本の幅さ Artwork Width 110 13.12
紙本の長さ Artwork Length 449 53.56
柱 Pillars 17 2.03
下一文字 Shita Ichimonji 7 0.84
地 Chi 45 5.37
掛け軸の幅さ Scroll Width 144 17.18
掛け軸の長さ Scroll Length 607 72.41

No comments: