Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dee Teller Shodou #12 - Nothingness Dragon

 I had such a difficulty with this scroll. In the original mounting, the black dots at the top experienced some significant nijimi (smudging/smearing). In the bottom right area, I had problems with the scroll paper tearing when I applied the Souurauchi.

What this tells me is that I am so imperfect, and must work every day to improve and become better.

When designing this scroll, I wanted a cloth that would provide the feeling of air rushing about as the dragon flew through the air. I think this was accomplished by the pattern in the grey cloth. I used an Enshu Kokutan (Paper Lantern shaped Ebony) jikusaki for this scroll. I think it went well with the entire scroll.

As you can see from the dimensions, this is a very large piece to mount and is very difficult. I just wished it had turned out more perfect.


Name in Kanji Name in English Size in Bun Size in Inches
天 Ten 128 15.27
上一文字 Ue Ichimonji 12 1.43
紙本の幅さ Artwork Width 224 26.72
紙本の長さ Artwork Length 382 45.57
柱 Pillars 18 2.15
下一文字 Shita Ichimonji 10 1.19
地 Chi 70 8.35
掛け軸の幅さ Scroll Width 260 31.02
掛け軸の長さ Scroll Length 602 71.81

No comments: