Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dee Teller Shodou #12 - Nothingness Dragon

 I had such a difficulty with this scroll. In the original mounting, the black dots at the top experienced some significant nijimi (smudging/smearing). In the bottom right area, I had problems with the scroll paper tearing when I applied the Souurauchi.

What this tells me is that I am so imperfect, and must work every day to improve and become better.

When designing this scroll, I wanted a cloth that would provide the feeling of air rushing about as the dragon flew through the air. I think this was accomplished by the pattern in the grey cloth. I used an Enshu Kokutan (Paper Lantern shaped Ebony) jikusaki for this scroll. I think it went well with the entire scroll.

As you can see from the dimensions, this is a very large piece to mount and is very difficult. I just wished it had turned out more perfect.


Name in Kanji Name in English Size in Bun Size in Inches
Ten 128 15.27
上一文字 Ue Ichimonji 12 1.43
紙本の幅さ Artwork Width 224 26.72
紙本の長さ Artwork Length 382 45.57
Pillars 18 2.15
下一文字 Shita Ichimonji 10 1.19
Chi 70 8.35
掛け軸の幅さ Scroll Width 260 31.02
掛け軸の長さ Scroll Length 602 71.81

No comments: