Wednesday, June 23, 2010

円相 Enso Circle of Emptiness Kakejiku or Wallscroll

The Ensou Circle or Enso is the ideal of emptiness in Zen Buddhism. Meditation exercises are a common discipline used to train acolyte priests to reach this state of emptiness.

If you would like to order a custom scroll there are three ways to get started: 1. Go to my shopping site at www.shop.customjapanesecalligraphy.com 2. Download my scroll design workbook from my website at www.customjapanesecalligraphy.com to read about the concepts behind kakejiku or wallscroll design. 3. E-mail to me directly at sales@customjapanesecalligraphy.com

How does one empty the mind to not be worried with outside worldly trappings? Can inward solace be achieved in this fast paced, critical world?

One reason that I decided to start this business was because making the scrolls to gain this peace. Framing the artwork takes time, concentration and creativity when working on the design. I hope that those same feelings and emotions are conveyed to the viewer of the artwork.

There are some that have told me that the Enso circle should start at the top. I do not know the technical reasons, nor do I know if this is actually a true or factual statement. I have seen many different artists begin the brushstroke at different areas. Some begin at the top and some at the bottom. Regardless, it takes a significant amount of practice and discipline to develop the skill necessary to draw a beautiful circle. Ryugyoku has shown that skill.

I chose the white cloth to give a light mood to a sometimes somber artwork. It is not the case for all people, but often when I reflect internally, the mood can be somewhat subdued for me. So I wanted a white cloth to help make the scroll more bright and cheery. The leaf pattern in the cloth provides me with a sense of being in nature.

This scroll is for sale at $55.00 plus $15.00 for shipping, handling and taxes.

No comments: