Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Gift Wall Scroll or Kakejiku

This scroll was commissioned as a gift.

If you would like to order a custom scroll there are three ways to get started: 1. Go to my shopping site at www.shop.customjapanesecalligraphy.com 2. Download my scroll design workbook from my website at www.customjapanesecalligraphy.com to read about the concepts behind kakejiku or wallscroll design. 3. E-mail to me directly at sales@customjapanesecalligraphy.com 

It reads 詩宗 Shisou with the name David St. John, as the names appear in the Japanese Bible written in katakana on the left hand column.  Shisou  means master poet. This is a gift for a prominently published modern poet, David St. John. You can read about him at the following link. http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/149 The third left hand line bears my wife's calligraphy signature name Ryugyoku and her Hanko.

What stands out most about this scoll, is the use of black cloth. Athough not common, it is not unheard of. The ichimonji selected has a very large karakusa pattern, and is a gold on creamy white. I make this extra large for several reasons, but primarily to give good spacing between the Honshi and the Kireji.

I not only enjoyed making this scroll, but got introduced to some good poetry in the process, which is always educational and inspires me to become better.

No comments: